Thursday, November 21, 2019

27A – Reading Reflection No. 3

1) The argument of the book (Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck) revolved around the importance of changing one's mind about certain subjects. Dweck stresses that some people may believe that they have the ability to do everything while some may believe that they are unable to do anything, both of which would need to have a change in perception.
2) In my opinion, the book connected with and enhanced what I am learning in ENT3003 in terms of looking at different situations from multiple perspectives and more often than not be able to think outside the box. For a lot of assignments, I had to really think about how I would go about tackling each assignment in order to come up with competent and worthy content.

3) If I had to design an exercise for this class based on the book I read, this exercise would involve students having to come up with a very basic idea and work up thoughts up to a possibly very innovative idea in a series of steps or tasks in order to promote motivation and a positive mindset.

4) Something that I learned that differed most from my expectations was the fact that Dweck encourages the reader to aim for success through one's own potential as opposed to their money or power. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nathan,
    I read the same book as you and it was definitely very eye opening for me as well. One key takeaway that I had as well was her perspective on the topic of potential. We have unlimited potential and with a growth mindset - we can achieve anything through using that potential. Another good term you used was the one of "thinking outside the box". I agree that this describes people with a growth mindset very well as they are not stuck "inside the box", not thinking that their traits are fixed and limited.
    Ollie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I really enjoyed the book you decided to read about. The author had a very interesting take on changing one's mind. I thought it was very insightful to read that the author says that some people truly believe they have the power to do anything in the world while other people believe that they can't do anything at all. I really liked your idea on the exercise you would create.
    Amanda Gonzalez

    ReplyDelete